Friday, January 19, 2007

Validation, validation, validation

I found an interesting entity validation library on CodePlex called EViL. The new Validation Application Block in the January 2007 CTP of Enterprise Library 3.0 also looks very promising. I just had a first look at both libraries and I like the simplicity and easy use of EViL, but I also like the power and flexibility of the Validation Application Block. It's possible to define validation in a separate configuration file that can be modified after deploying your application. I'm not saying that this would be a good thing without some major regression testing, but still, I like the approach of isolating validation rules. I will have a go on both libraries. If you know some other viable alternatives, please let me know.

2 comments:

Colin Jack said...

Any thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages of the two?

Jan Van Ryswyck said...

At the moment, I'm more in favor of the Validation Application Block. It's more powerful than the EViL validation framework and it's part of the Enterprise Library wich targets a larger developer community than EVIL. I like EVIL for it's simplicity, but I won't use it for the types of applications that I'm building right now. So for small and simple projects I would use EVIL and for larger and more complex projects I would use the Application Validation Block. I suggest that you have a look at both frameworks (and possibly others ...) and try to determine wich one is best. Let me know wich one you prefer?